St. Augustine, Fla. (August 30, 2022) – Summer is winding down. Kids are back to school and it is adult time on Florida’s Historic Coast. While August was National Wellness month, September is Healthy Aging month and there is more than the Fountain of Youth here to help keep you young. Here are 10 ways to stay well and experience life on Florida’s Historic Coast in September:
- Try a little Yoga session on the grounds of a historic museum or at the beach. or try a fun session of Aerial Yoga. Every Wednesday and Sunday morning, a one-hour vinyasa yoga session takes place on the lawn at the historic Ximenez-Fatio House. Guests at the Embassy Suites Oceanfront Resort at St. Augustine Beach enjoy refreshing seaside yoga sessions each morning. And, at St. Augustine’s Pilates Yoga Loft, the instructors take yoga to new levels with Aerial Yoga sessions for all levels of experience. Take up a fun sport like Pickleball to get the heart pumping. The newly renovated sports facility The Yards, is a great place to learn to play pickleball.
- Take a hike on a bird watching tour through a state park. Anastasia State Park hosts guided bird walks are a great way to ground yourself in nature. Participants learn about the beautiful terrain while watching for exciting aviary life.
- Shop for healthy fruits and vegetables at one of the fantastic farmer’s markets that showcase local produce, flowers, baked goods, handmade arts and crafts and more. The St. Augustine Amphitheater Framers Market takes place every Saturday morning, and the Pier Market at St. Augustine Beach takes place every Wednesday morning.
- Get closer to nature on a sunset paddle with an expert naturalist. Earth Kinship guides lead a paddle along the pristine six-mile creek to learn about the history and diverse wildlife along the St. Johns River.
- Become a beachcomber. This one’s easy and free. Plus, no special skills are needed. Florida’s Historic Coast offers 42 miles of pristine beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. From Mickler’s Landing to Vilano and St. Augustine Beach to Matanzas Inlet, there are perfect spots to call your own for long walks along the shoreline. You might even uncover some unique shells and fossilized shark teeth. Take in the fresh salt air and let the ebb and flow of the waves wash away your worries. Or take a beach history walk with one of the St. Johns County environmental educators to learn about the unique history of Vilano Beach.
- Any time on the beach is rejuvenating. Give back and get some exercise while participating in the International Coastal Cleanup 2022. The Friends of A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal Byway are organizing volunteers to help with this beach cleanup.
- Take a hike. Try one of the many trails along the GTM Research Reserve. If you want to enjoy some native wildlife, like ibis, herons and eagles, Beluthahatchee Park offers visitors the space to truly get lost and immerse yourself in natural, unspoiled surroundings. And, the best part is, it’s easy to maintain safe social distancing outdoors.
- Ride a bike! You can get great exercise and explore the very bike-friendly St. Augustine. There are bike rentals and bike racks all over the city. For the more the more adventurous bicycler, take a trail ride at The Nocatee Preserve.
- Good Health at the Spa. Massage therapy using Himalayan salt stones, practiced for centuries, can enhance healing and wellness. While a float tank experience can reduce pain and stress. Both therapies are available at Salt Spa St. Augustine, a Zen oasis in the heart of the city. A trip to the Spa at the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club offers more than 100 luxurious pampering spa services that will melt away your worries. The Poseidon Spa at the Casa Monica Resort & Spa uses earth’s simplest element, water, in treatments that renew and rejuvenate the spirit.
- Enjoy a great dining scene! Florida’s Historic Coast is known for its exceptional dining scene. The abundance of year-round fresh local seafood and produce provides great healthful dining experiences at several seafood restaurants.
While planning your refreshing getaway to Florida’s Historic Coast, checkout some of the great deals and offers to make your visit just a little cooler!
For exciting events and cool happenings taking place throughout the year, visit www.FloridasHistoricCoast.com/events.